Dropping stuff.


Want the mic a little higher? Okay.... that's the works. Too short still? Let me put it on a milk crate. There - how about now? STILL too short? Ooooooooohhhh!

If it sounds like I've been reduced in rank to roadie status, that's because it's true. Just call me Spike or Lenny - you know, one of those roadie names. I've considered investing in a carton of muscle shirts, but I don't have any muscles, so... what's the point, right? (How do I lift those heavy bass cabinets? Tendons only, my friend.) There are worse things to do for a living, only up to now I haven't had to do any of them, so... this is rock bottom. The things we do for friends! And by "friends" I mean robot friends.

As I mentioned last week, Marvin (my personal robot assistant) has mustered a small army of robots to do his bidding. He started with a landscaping enterprise, but found that putting lawn mowers in the hands of automatons is kind of a bad idea. (They tend to be a bit more self-directed than he had anticipated.) So his next venture was an all-robot band, which he calls "Marvin and the Lawn Robots". I admit, at first I laughed. What a ludicrous idea! Who would want to hear them? That was Monday. By Wednesday they had a gig at one of the local gin mills, taking the door (and perhaps a couple of windows) for their trouble. Again, I laughed! How, I asked (laughing), will you even get your P.A. gear in the freaking door?

Turns out I'm the "how". Yeah, I know. I shouldn't be wasting my time on this shit. Only.. he's the only robot I've ever had, and when those brass eyes start to tear up, I relent. Mind you, I'm the only member of Big Green involved in this enterprise. Matt and John both flat-out refused to carry water for a bunch of mindless robots. None of our other household denizens and assorted hangers on at the Cheney Hammer Mill would agree to lug Marvin's gear around either (I thought I could at least get the Lincolns interested, but they REFUSED, insisting they had something else going - some kind of debating society, I believe.) As for the man-sized tuber, he's running the sound board, and... well, those little twig-like arms of his are even less suited to a roady's tasks than mine.

So here I am, trying to get a mic in front of a 12-foot-tall robot Marvin calls "Tiny" (stage name, I expect). This should be an interesting night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Stop hiding your light under that bushel.