Steppin' into Eden.


That's not a legitimate use of member funds. Take if from me - that would be considered, I don't know, embezzlement or something. Don't do it. Put the money DOWN!

Whoops, sorry. I didn't know anyone was listening in. Well, this is kind of embarrassing. Actually, I was just giving a small piece of advice to Marvin (my personal robot assistant) with regard to what is acceptable and unacceptable when one is contemplating organizing a major religion. Not that I know all that much about it, but I think I know more than Marvin does, and I think that gives me "tell you something right now" rights and privileges. Especially with a bloody robot. (Don't tell him I said that - he'll start sulking again.)

Um, yes, you heard me right. Marvin's other money making schemes have all been huge disasters. So he's decided to take the Pat Robertson route and start a back-porch religion operation. Of course, being a deductive thinker (and not terribly inventive for a robot, I must say), his idea was lifted from a favorite (of his) episode of the original Star Trek television series featuring a tribe of space hipsters (or "groovsters") who hijacked the Enterprise to travel to a planet called "Eden." Often considered one of the most impossibly lame and pandering segments of a generally ludicrous show, it offers some unintentionally hilarious musical numbers in a psychedelic rock vein. I give it one thumb up and one thumb.... Whoops... lapsed into television review mode. Cancel! Cancel!

Sheesh - now who's the robot? (I guess that still would be Marvin.) Marvin was looking for a religious movement that would be, well, sticky enough to draw some fanatical adherents even in this forgotten backwater of Central New York. Kind of a back stoop movement, if you will. Marvin would do the organizing, with a little help from anti-Lincoln, who is himself a pretty effective fanatic. (Thing is, I don't know if he can get the space-age guitar thing just right.) I am a bit skeptical, but even so... it could kind of work. Here you have a millennial movement whose goals - hijacking a fictitious space vessel and driving it to an equally fictitious planet - can never be realized, only hoped for - worshipped, if you will. Pretty much the stuff successful religions are made of. And hell, Marvin's got his first converts: Lincoln, Big Zamboola, and the man-sized tuber.

Now if he can just keep his claw out of the till. Always the hard part. (Just wait till he starts broadcasting!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Riding Grievance all the way to armageddon