Open season.

Whoa, was that a week from hell or wasn't it? Spring is here, after all, and the planet's wrecked. Time to cultivate another one. Any preferences? Neptune, perhaps? Or.... maybe we can just open the mail bag.

Here's one from a local:

Dear Big Green,

I think I saw one of your number tagged in a photo on Facebook, dressed up in a ludicrous leprechaun get-up. What's up with that? Are you going to start playing traditional Irish music now? Should I look for you on Thistle and Shamrock any time soon?

Best,

Rich Taggert
Toad in the Hole, NY

Well, Rich.... that does seem to be my name, so perhaps it's me. I may be a secret leprechaun, or perhaps I fell asleep at a St. Patrick's Day bash and simply don't remember what happened next. (Distinct possibility.) Then again, Marvin (my personal robot assistant) may have put me in the ludicrous outfit while I was sleeping and then invited local children in to have their photo taken with the funny, funny elf. I'm guessing here.

The closest we've come to Irish music is a Christmas number Matt wrote some years back called "McBridy", which later segues into a country song called "Evening Crab Nebula". Written around the times of the troubles in Northern Ireland - now thankfully past - the McBridy lyric went something like this:

Well, hiddly- hi, in the Christian World, it's eye for eye
And hiddly-hi, we'll get another try
It's the same dear thing McBridy sang
before he caught up with the plan
that threw him on his back one Christmas 'morn


McBridy, McBridy! You lived in a wholly Christian world
But still you blow your brother away
McBridy, McBridy! You lived in a holy Christian world
But died another link in the chain.


And no, not Thistle and Shamrock... but possibly Pagan FM, if you listen regularly.

Next missive...

Dear Big Green,

I don't exist, and you can't make me.

Yours truly,
Chester Ether

Thanks for writing, Chester. A lot of our listeners are in much the same condition. It's a sign of these difficult times, as I'm sure you - a non-existent person - can truly appreciate.

Now back to work, damn it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Stop hiding your light under that bushel.