Deafening me with science.

A little louder. Little louder still. Forget headroom! We like our albums LOUD. Turn it up just as LOUD as you can. What? Leave the room? In the middle of a mix? Okay, well that's discouraging.
Here we are at the abandoned Cheney Hammer Mill, our adopted home in upstate New York, mixing our ... I mean, cousin Rick's new album, Cowboy Scat: Songs in the Key of Rick, and I'm just discovering now that I am a lousy engineer. Who know (aside from everyone who listens to my work)? Thank the god of your choice that I have Matt Perry to work with, a.k.a. "Mr. Ears" himself. No, that's not because he wears Spock-like ear extensions. I'm not saying he doesn't, mind you ... I'm just saying that's not the reason for the moniker. Though after being summarily ejected from our mixing session due to excessive loudness, I'm thinking about calling him "Mr. Mouth" from now on.

Not sure how Matt can mix an album with his ears ringing, having been recently mentioned by NASA Chief Scientist Dr. Waleed Abdalati in a speech to students about why he became a scientist in the first place. (Waleed was a neighbor and Matt's best friend back in the day.) They used to play astronaut in our backyard (as well as the vast stretch of open fields that existed there at that time - perfect landscape for an alien planet). Waleed went on to be an engineer and climate scientist; Matt a conservation officer at a wildlife sanctuary. Waleed works for NASA. Matt wrote One Small Step. So in his own way, each has made his contribution to the nation's space effort.

Still, I can make a contribution to mixing this album, and I'll tell you how. One word: Marvin (my personal robot assistant). I'll just program him to do my bidding, send him into the studio, and he'll turn all the knobs up to eleven. We'll be able to hear this album from space, even when it's not being played. Woo-hoo!

Okay.... enough about me. Just wanted to let you know that the latest episode of our podcast, THIS IS BIG GREEN is now available. Two new "rough draft" recordings by Rick Perry, another episode of Nedd the Dancing Horse, and a brief remembrance of Neil Armstrong, first man on another world. Not bad for free. Check it out.

Did you say something? Couldn't hear you over the LOUD MUSIC.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Stop hiding your light under that bushel.