Sing, Rick, sing!

Turn which knob again? That one? I already turned that one, for crying out loud. Turn it again? Shut the front door! All these knobs, all these switches... Hey, that's a good idea for a song. All of these knobs, all of these switches, keep this up and you'll need stitches, uh-huh.

Okay... not a good idea for a song. I'm getting punchy, and small wonder. Matt and I are hip deep in mixing Rick Perry's new album, Cowboy Scat: Songs in the Key of Rick ... being a collection of songs that arose from some strange sensory phenomena our dear cousin experienced over the past year. You know how when sometimes you have a little too much to drink or a bit too much .... well, whatever, and the world around you gets all fuzzy and weird, and then the next day you find yourself freighted with all these unexplainable memories of odd behavior, like something your fevered mind cooked up in a dream? Well.... Rick wrote some songs about that.

We've been putting rough mixes of these songs on our podcast, THIS IS BIG GREEN, for the past few months, to mixed reviews, I must say. Here's a sampling:

What is that sound in the middle of your last podcast? It almost could have been music but not quite... - jaypod

Tell tex to pipe down. I'm sleepin' here. - brooklynfan#482

[expletive deleted] the [expletive deleted] with a [censored]. - nixon'sghost45

All very promising, wouldn't you say? It's this kind of feedback that keeps us going, year after year. Like that guy who wrote me last month with the simple advice of "Get a life." Isn't that enchanting? Almost haiku-like in its simplicity. I meditate on it daily.

When will the finished album be ready? Well, that depends on how soon we can get a turn at the power tools down in the basement of the abandoned Cheney Hammer Mill, where we reside. Marvin (my personal robot assistant) and the mansized tuber have been building something down there for weeks. Maybe it's an ark, for all I freaking know - I hear sawing and drilling through the closed door to the shop. "Are you going to be long?" I yell, "We've got to start whittling those CD cases!"

Useless. Oh, well... back to the faders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Stop hiding your light under that bushel.