Here comes the sun.

My Martin D-1 needs strings again. So what's new? I always let stringed instruments go to seed - it's how I roll. That's why true guitarists hate me. (Dude, you KNOW it's true.)

I just don't play the fucker enough, that's my problem. But then I guess you could say my problem is that I don't do ANYTHING enough, so it's just part of a larger problem. Marvin (my personal robot assistant) has volunteered to act as my guitar technician. Only trouble is, his inventor - the mad scientist Mitch Macaphee - gave him prehensile claws for hands, so it's kind of a challenge to restring a guitar in his little tin world. Kind of outside his wheel house. (That's not a metaphor. He actually does have a wheel house.)

It's when the sun starts shining and the leaves unfurl in this part of the country that the mind turns more to making music. Maybe that's someone else's music, sure, but music nevertheless. You can hear it wafting out of the abandoned Cheney Hammer Mill on a night like this ... me framming on my broken down guitar, Matt hammering on an anvil, Marvin jumping up and down like a chimp, slapping his bongos. I won't even get into what Anti-Lincoln does to make noise. Let's say it doesn't involve the harpsichord, which I think may have been his primary instrument at one time. (We don't have a harpsichord ... hell, not even a harp.)

Bzzt ... Let me tune guitarTrouble is, we spend so much time on THIS IS BIG GREEN, our podcast, that practically everything else suffers. The garden has fallen to shit. (Granted, we did plant in the dead of winter. We may be "Big Green" but none of us has enough of a green thumb to grow a freaking rock garden.) Our songwriting is becoming even more bizarre by the day. And what the hell - the harder we work, the longer it takes for us to finish a freaking episode. It's like we're running backwards on a train heading in the opposite direction, following a track shaped like a mobius strip. Wrapped in an enigma.

Complain, complain, complain. That's what blogging is all about, right? Shut up and play your broken guitar!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Riding Grievance all the way to armageddon