No quarter.

I don't remember this room being this cramped. For crying out loud, what did they do to this place? Where's my plastic furniture? I was weeks collecting that bedroom set!

Oh well ... there's bound to be a few glitches in any complex negotiation. The important thing is, we're back, baby! We've won the right to squat in our beloved Cheney Hammer Mill once again. And when I say "beloved", well ... that's a relative term. Next to the potting shed we've been crammed into all summer, the mill is a veritable palace. Sure, we have to share it with lunatics, but even that's not unprecedented. (Just take a look through our back pages and you'll see what I'm talking about.)

All that said, there are a few restrictions on what we're going to be able to do as residents of the mill from here on out. Maybe it was a mistake to deputize Anti-Lincoln as our chief negotiator with the crazy upstairs neighbors. Our main thought was that he was, after all, an old country lawyer ... or the antimatter equivalent of one. It's that second element we didn't fully consider. Antimatter country lawyer means the opposite of country lawyer ... so, I don't know ... city outlaw? In any case, Anti-Lincoln didn't come away with the better part of THAT deal.

So this is what we have to deal with:

No Tap Dancing. Okay, this shouldn't be a problem for anyone except Marvin (my personal robot assistant), who has brass feet and sounds like he's tap dancing when he's just walking across the floor.

No Cops. Again, not a problem for most of us ... in fact, a positive benefit for some ... like Anti-Lincoln, who is (as mentioned earlier) an outlaw.

Nah, none of that, Marvin., thanks to old honest Abe, here.

No Boiled Asparagus. This is getting up my nose a bit. Unfortunately, when I complained about it, our nasty neighbors stuffed raw asparagus up my nose.

Mandatory Clapping for Fireworks. I think I may have mentioned that our upstairs neighbors love a nice fireworks display. Apparently they want to spread the love around a little. And when I say "spread", what I really mean is enforce through the power of contract law.

No Loose Coins. I can't figure this one out at all. They prefer that we use paper money. What the hell am I going to do with that barrel full of quarters I've been filling since third grade? That's my retirement, people!

Those are the highlights. There's more, but I'll save it until I locate my plastic side table. Thieves!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

R.I.P., uber rich lady atop killer empire

Pulling the plug is never as easy as it looks

Stop hiding your light under that bushel.