First, the big fat entrance. Rep. Claudia Tenney gets a word in Trump's ear as he's working his way down the aisle. Always wearing some bright color and right up front when Trump is in town.
First flub goes to Ryan: "I have the distinct privilege of preventing ... presenting to you the President of the United States."
Now, on to Trump's remarks, delivered in a slithering, slow voice, lots of breath. Kind of nauseating, frankly.
"A new tide of optimism was already sweeping across our land," he tells us, referring to a year ago, then jumped right in with the anecdotes and the guests of honor. "We always will pull through together, always." Runs through a litany of lifesavers, mostly from disasters of our own making, through climate change, gun violence, etc. "The state of our union is strong because our people are strong. And together we are building a safe and strong and proud America." Platitude.
Touting more jobs for Black and Hispanic people. Big cheer for "massive tax cuts," of course. More take home pay! (Mitt Romney, come back - all is forgiven.) Calls out "cruel" tax of the individual ACA mandate, which very few people actually paid - big cheer from Republican recipients of government subsidized health insurance. Crowing about the titanic benefits of this "new American moment." "You can dream anything, you can be anything, and together we can achieve absolutely anything."
Some short takes:
- "We share ... the same great American flag ...The motto is 'In God We Trust,'" he says, then makes a big point about standing for the national anthem. So much for Mr. We're All In This Together.
- We're "...totally defending our second amendment and have taken historic actions to protect religious liberty." Shoot 'em up.
- Calling on congress to empower cabinet secretaries to fire people. Is that novel?
- "We have ended the war on American energy and we have ended the war on beautiful clean coal." So much for the section on climate change.
- "Companies are roaring back, they're coming back. They want to be where the action is." Well, it's a kind of silent roar.
Starting to talk about lifting people out of "welfare". "Let's invest in workforce development and let's invest in job training, which we need so badly." Calls for vocational schools and paid family leave - probably the Ivanka plan. A bleat on prison reform - very vague.
"For decades open borders have allowed drugs and gangs come pouring in." Now he's naming "guests" whose kids were killed by immigrants! MS13. Using them to call out "alien minors". This section is fucking disgusting, worthy of Der Sturmer. He is "calling on congress to close deadly loopholes" in immigration laws. Dirtbags are clapping.
He wants to protect all Americans. How? He wants to defend Americans. "Americans are dreamers, too." Oh, I see. Pretty much the only immigrants he's talking about is gang members. MS13 again. Talking about arrests of gang members. So what is the problem? They're going to prison. But Trump is talking about sending reinforcements. Now talking about bipartisan immigration reform - his draconian plan. Building a "great wall". His rhetoric on immigration is all about violence by immigrants, merit and race based rules, and "protecting the nuclear family by ending chain migration." Then he's blaming opioid deaths on immigrant drug dealers. Just a lot of thinly coded language aimed at racial division.
Next, he's praising cop - another guest in audience - who stopped a pregnant woman from shooting heroin. Then he adopted the baby. Point? This is not a speech; it is a series of extended anecdotes. It's like a fucking variety show. He's using these people as human shields.
Foreign policy and military section:
- "Weakness is the surest path to conflict, and unmatched power is the surest means to our true and great defense." Calling for end to defense sequester. Well, the GOP created it, so why not, right?
- Taking credit for eliminating ISIS.
- Calling terrorists "enemy combatants". Sounds like the start of an argument for torture, Gitmo, etc. Just signed an order to re-examine detention policies and keep open Gitmo. Score one for the jihadist propagandists.
- Touting new rules of engagement. Calling out artificial timelines. Recognizing Jerusalem as capital of Israel. Asking to cut off aid to countries that criticize us at UN. "Enemies of America." "America stands with the people of Iran in their courageous struggle for freedom." "Terrible Iran nuclear deal." "Communist and socialist dictatorships in Cuba and Venezuela."
- Threatening North Korea again. "Past experience has taught us that complacency and concessions only invite ... aggression." Applauding that kid Warmbier. Extended anecdote about Korean guest who crawled to freedom and a further tirade against North Korea. Jesus H. Christ.
Patriotic claptrap roll call. Republicans chanting "USA, USA, USA!"
"The people dreamed this country, the people built this country, and it's the people who will make America great again." Yep. When they get rid of you.